Seattle – In response to COVID-19 and in preparation for the return of in-person events, the Washington State Convention Center (WSCC) has released a Safety First Overview, which outlines the guidelines, precautionary measures, and requirements to be followed by everyone who enters WSCC. These guidelines are being instituted to further ensure clean and safe gatherings for all guests. Detailed operational procedures, under development by WSCC staff and service partners, will be available soon. These documents will be refined and updated as CDC, governmental and industry best practices evolve.
“The safety of our clients, event attendees, visitors and staff has always been our top priority,” said Jeff Blosser, President and CEO, WSCC. “When we are all ready to meet face to face again, we want every meeting planner and their event attendees to have every confidence they are in a clean, safe and healthy environment. These guidelines are our commitment to the well-being of every person who comes through our doors.”
The Safety First Overview includes the following five general principles:
1. Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Infectious Disease Prevention
2. Event Access and Flow
3. Physical Distancing
4. Personal Protective Equipment and Personal Hygiene
5. Food and Beverage
On July 7, WSCC also announced its commitment to achieve the Global Biorisk Advisory Council® (GBAC) STAR™ accreditation on outbreak prevention, response and recovery. Recognized as the gold standard of safe venues, GBAC STAR™ provides third-party validation to ensure the implementation of rigorous protocols in response to biorisk situations.
WSCC continues to closely monitor news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and protections ordered by state, county and city officials. In alignment with Governor Jay Inslee's Stay Home, Stay Healthy proclamation and subsequent Safe Start Washington plan, WSCC has temporarily closed the building until further notice.
WSCC recommends the public stay informed on COVID-19. Resources include:
• Visit Seattle: https://visitseattle.org/travel-advisory/
• Washington State Department of Health: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies
• Public Health – Seattle & King County: https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19.aspx
• Centers for Disease Control Event Planning Q & A: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
• Centers for Disease Control Considerations for Events and Gatherings: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/considerations-for-events-gatherings.html
• Washington Meeting and Convention Coalition: Safe Reopening Plan
About the Washington State Convention Center
Located in the heart of Seattle and walking distance to world-class hotels, restaurants, entertainment and attractions, the Convention Center’s Arch building has been the Northwest’s premier meeting and event facility for over 31 years, providing industry-leading service, award-winning catering and innovative solutions for event planners, guests and visitors. WSCC looks forward to opening the Summit building, adding approximately 248,000 square feet of exhibit space, 59 meeting rooms, and a 58,000 square-foot ballroom to the Center’s offerings, in Spring 2022. For more information, visit www.wscc.com.